Thursday, July 17, 2008

The facinating field of Anthropology



The field of anthropology has not always been an interest to me until I first saw National Geographic's series Taboo, which if no one has seen I highly recommend. One episode I remember seeing talked about raising children. The first part of the series showed typical American traditions when raising a child, then it went to the amazon, and then raising children in some parts of India. The differences were astonishing, and I have been hooked since and that was years ago. At the time I was like most Americans, we think everyone lives like we do, raises families like we do, and have the same mannerisms. Some Americans even forget that there are other cultures and countries out there (thankfully I was never that bad!)

I have signed up for many feeds and one of those is the psychology today blogs which I have referenced many times. I came across Thinking about cultural differences I: An introduction and Thinking about cultural differences II: Why bother? both of these discuss differences in culture and how in the field of psychology learning about different cultures has become important to understanding behavioral differences, and trying to get a better understanding the social norms in other cultures. So why is it important to learn about other cultures, religions, points of view, etc? Doing all of those things makes one a more well "rounded" person, makes a person more open and understanding. What you may find offensive may be a normal part of life in another society , it helps people understand boundaries. Not only that but it's important to learn thoughts and beliefs that aren't the same as your own because it makes people more open minded and might actually help mold your own views on something when you get more than one point of view on something. Most people never agree with other people when their views do not fit into our own, it would be a good lesson for everyone if they just took the time to open their eyes to see that there is more out there than just themselves. I have taken one anthropology course and hope to take another one, I believe it makes me a better and more versatile person for doing so. I enjoy talking to those with different opinions than my own, it makes for better conversation and I like to see why people believe one thing and I like to share why I believe another.


I believe if more people did this even religion and politics would no longer be one of those no nos to bring up in conversation ;)

No comments: